Mission of Friends for the Abbott Marshlands
The Friends for the Abbott Marshlands (Friends) is a grassroots organization, operating under the umbrella of D&R Greenway Land Trust to: facilitate preservation and protection of the Abbott Marshlands (Marshlands), promote Marshlands stewardship, and educate the public of the many varied and unique resources of the Marshlands. The Friends strive to partner with other agencies (public, nonprofit and private) to protect, preserve, enhance and promote the natural, historical and recreational resources provided by the Marshlands.
- To work with both State and County agencies to preserve privately held lands within the Marshlands if they are offered for sale by their owners, to include those lands in the public domain, and to promote uniform stewardship and/or management of the Marshlands as a whole.
- To increase awareness of the Marshlands resources and assets through on-going general public information including engaging local residents, local and regional interest groups, and elected officials.
- To increase educational programming and opportunities for research both within the Marshlands and through the proposed Mercer County Nature Center by reaching out to and engaging public and private educational institutes at all levels including grade schools and colleges & universities.
- To advocate to the proper oversight agency for increased maintenance and security within the Marsh and to supplement the public staffing through stewardship efforts that include volunteer clean-ups and neighborhood watch group support.
- To promote and support recreational and cultural activities within the Marshlands.
- To support the Marshlands through fund raising activities and development of long-term local and regional partnerships.